Monday, September 28, 2015

soft and hard edges

The theme for EB's masterclass this month was soft and hard edges. If you read my blog you have seen the sketches I made for it and the first lay out of the fabrics. Here are the final results:

The size of the poppies quilt is 17"x24" and the title is Lost Poppies. It is likely that I will continue with this theme as there are now 2 people who advised me to continue playing with this idea. And you all know that I love working in series :-).

Here is the other one:

Size is 12"x24" and it fits nicely in my circle themes. I do not have a title yet for this one, suggestions are welcome :-).

Friday, September 18, 2015

SAQA auction

It is some time ago since I last posted this quilt, but do you remember it? Well today SAQA auction starts. 
If you want to bid on it, please read the following text as the auction is a bit different than previous years. You can either bid on my quilt during the Diamond Day bidding window, or you have to go to Houston :-).
It's finally time to bid! SAQA's Benefit Auction starts TODAY at 2:00pm EDT. Even if you are a veteran bidder, please review the information below to make sure you are aware of new changes for this year.
For example, on the main auction pages, sold quilts will be marked by a red border. You can click through to view more details about the purchaser.
Other Notes: 
  • SAQA uses Eastern Daylight Time for bidding purposes. The current time will display on the bidding form
  • All quilts are available for $1000 during the Diamond Day bidding window (Friday 2:00pm - Monday 1:30pm)
  • At 2:00pm on Monday, only Section 1 quilts will be available for bidding
  • Sold quilts will be marked by a red border around the thumbnail image
  • Buyer details (if provided) will be included on the quilt detail page (displayed when you click on a thumbnail) 

Sunday, September 13, 2015

more soft and hard edges

This week I continued working on the poppy design. The top picture shows my first lay out.

I like it, but the soft/hard edges do not really show. The background fabric is covered with 2 layers of tulle, but still not the effect I need. So I made another layout. This time with a commercial green fabric as background and 1 layer of tule. And indeed the edges dissolve much more. I will have to make some small addition corrections, but it is time to start quilting.

Friday, September 04, 2015

Soft and hard edges

This month the theme for EB's masterclass is soft versus hard edges. For this theme I made the following 2 sketches:

Sketching is not my favorite part, so I added my fabric ideas with it as well :-). For the seed pods I intend to use different values of green/brown fabric. The seed pods in the background will be covered with sheer fabric to make them more softer. The circles I intend to make with only black/white fabric. I have rather a big stash of these :-). There will be small black circles on the black background and small white circles on the white background. The circles which are the focus will have black fabric on white background and white fabric on black background.

Here are EB's comments:
- Seed pods are such a wonderful shape - and poppies in particular are lovely.  It's because there is a great contrast between the star/flower shape on top and the soft round belly beneath.
I think you'll be able to lose some of the "belly" portion in the background with careful use of values so that the "star" on top really stands out.
I like your idea of gradually making the edges softer, less distinct, until they melt away into the background using layers of organza...I think it will work very well.  You could expand some of the circles so that they begin to overlap in places and some of the edges gradually disappear into the background.  It's definitely a good idea to begin with a simple concept and see how far you can push the device within the constraints of the simple idea - well chosen!  

Now my problem will be do I make one or do I make both quilts. As it is Friday, I am linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Abstracted nature is completed

For Voyage - one of my online quilt groups - the theme this year was abstracted nature. My 4 quilts are all based on plants. Okay, I admit, plants with a twist :-). For this quilt my inspiration was cattails, not the animal type, but the type you find in the water. In Dutch we call them cigars. The fun part with the abstract is, that you do not have to follow the rules of reality. In this case I used rectangular red/pink fabric for the seed pods.

All fabrics used are my own hand dyed or snow dyed ones plus some strips of Ugandan barkcloth. Size is 17"x24". All the abstracted nature quilts will be on show in Minneapolis and Prague in 2016 and Maastricht in 2017.

Monday, July 27, 2015

Old work

We all have work that for some reason we are not satisfied with. I have a couple of canvasses with little quilts on it which I made a couple of years and knew that they needed more. Here is a picture of one of them:

Yesterday I decided to apply some paint on to it. I used a combination of 3 different Golden fluid acrylics and now it looks like this:

Not certain if it is completed now, but it looks better :-).

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

TAFA contest

Every month TAFA has a photo contest. For July the theme is Window to the World and one of my quilts is in it. Click on this link to go to the page. Voting closes in about 10 hours.