Monday, February 28, 2011

and one more

With the fabrics I showed on the 23rd I also made this quilt:
It is a translation into fabric of a painting of Corneille: Blue cat and sunflower. No templates were used. Fabrics are a combination of hand dyed ones and commercial ones. The black lines around all the shapes are a characteristic of this painting style. I created them by satin stitching around all the shapes. A very time consuming technique. This quilt is (again) 12"x12". Of the 5 tops I was working on, 3 are now completed. The other 2 are being quilted the coming days. And because I don't want to get bored, I will start another 2 quilt tops this week :-)

Saturday, February 26, 2011

another top done

Another top is completed. This quilt is limited to only a 2-color palette. Size is 12"x12". It is made of a combination of handdyed and commercial fabrics. For the eyes I used seed beads and sequins. I am not sure what to call it. Fishes is fitting, but not really an interesting name. Suggestions are welcome.
One more quilt completed. Now only working on 3 other ones.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

lots of tops

For the 4th year in a row February is Pamela Allen month. Yes, again an on-line workshop from her :-). This means that this month I have made 5 tops already in 3 lessons. The fabric shown on this picture I used for 2 quilts:
One of them is quilted and I called it 'Blue tree'. Size is 12"x12":
The other quilt requires quite a lot of satin stitching in black. Difficult to do with artificial light.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

quilt swap

This season I participated in Kate's ALQS with 2 journal quilts. Here is a picture of one of the quilts I got in return:

It is made by Ramona Bates. Thanks Ramona! The second quilt I won has not yet arrived, but I know which one it is :-)). I was just too curious to wait for the mail and Kate was willing to tell me which ones would be mine.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ice cube dyeing

Ice cube dyeing is not new to me, but on Linda's blog I read about a variation to this technique. There happen to be some frozen dye ice cubes in my freezer, so time to play. No idea which colors they were. Whenever I have some left over dye I freeze it. This technique uses 2 layers of fabric. One on which you put the ice cubes:
And one which you put on top:
I must say I like the top fabric the most. If you look closely to the fabric you might see that I had placed bubblewrap under and over the fabric. In some areas there is a nice imprint of the bubbles.

Saturday, February 12, 2011


In continuation of my previous post her is my block for February. As you can see this months color is yellow. Chosen because winter is almost over and daffodils are beginning to pop up :-) This block is a variation of last month's only this time I made 4 small blocks before stitching them together. The colors you see here are actually the only yellow hand dyed ones I owe. In fabric this is not my favorite color.