Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Abstract Trees

The October theme for Sky is the Limit was abstract. After I had made the background of commercial fabric I played around a bit with paper shapes. When I had a composition which I liked I cut these shapes out of hand dyed fabrics and fused this down onto the background. My original composition was not this one, when I was quilting it it looked much more pleasing this way. And it also gave it it's name: Abstract Trees. As always size is 12"x12".
My theme for this year for Voyage is trees, so I have an idea for my 6th quilt for this group as well :-).

Friday, October 25, 2013


I have shown this picture before, but what is new is that this quilt called Ghostflowers is included in the online exhibit Lines into Shapes 2013. Click on the link to see what else is included.
And as it is Friday, I am linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013


Change was Sky's theme for last month. And yes, I am late in finishing it :-). My initial idea was to start with a hexagon and change the shape of it, turning the quilt into an art quilt. But as this is handpiecing it would have been very time consuming. Reason for me to change it into something else. I decided to focus on the changing of fabric, starting with a white piece of fabric, adding a bit of paint, and a bit more and so on. This is the finished result:

Sunday, October 20, 2013


The last couple of days I was in Veldhoven. I am a member of Voyage and the quilts we had made last year were exhibited as a guest collection at the show organised by the OEQC.
On this picture you can see my quilts, but if you check out the site of OEQC you can see a video they made of all the Voyage quilts. The shiny strip which you see on the picture is a barrier preventing people to touch the quilts.

Friday, October 11, 2013

ice cube dyeing

Many quilts I make are small, but now and then I want to create something big. Not certain exactly how big it will be, but I cut a piece of fabric of around 45". This plus a long piece of cotton rope I placed in a gutter after I soda soaked it. On top of this I put a lot of ice cubes and dye powder. Two colors of blue and two of yellow. I let this batch till the next day. After rinsing and washing it looks now like this:

The fabric is from P&B (a pfd), but apparently the cotton rope was not pfd. I bought this at JoAnn. The same dye bath, but the result is different. No problem in this case, because I can use it. However if you were aiming for a similar effect, it would have been an unpleasant surprise.
I am linking this to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday's.