Monday, December 26, 2011

Snowy owl is finished

Snowy owl is finished! The advantage of having a couple of days off is that you can continue working on it. I started this quilt in May. The background blue and brown was dyed and fused together. The snowy owl was painted with textile paint. My intention was to have only the outline of the shadow of the owl and the tree in which it is sitting visible. Because of the dark colors it was difficult to quilt it using artificial light. But I got the effect I wanted. Total size of this quilt is 41"x41" (105x105 cm).

Here are 2 pictures, a full one:










Because the snowy owl was painted it meant that every wrong stitch would remain visible. I really had to be careful when I machinequilted it. And a detail one:





                                               
And yes, I have to iron the quilt to get rid of the folding lines, and I have to remove the white cat's hair. Catrien managed to sleep on it in spite of my attempts to keep her away from it.

5 comments:

Cda00uk said...

Beautiful, Wil!

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

absolutely stunning Wil!

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Wil,
I am Back home!
Wow, your owl is amazing!
If you would like to see some photos of my recent trip please visit my blog and leave a comment. :) Tomorrow I will upload more photos.
Hugs

Hannie de Beer said...

Prachtig gedaan! Zo mooi ook de uil op de donkere achtergrond Nét zichtbaar. De "veren" van de witte uil zijn erg mooi ingeschilderd