Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Today another picture of the alphabet. This M is made from metal. I have no clue what kind of metal it is. When I bought the book 'This lustr'ed cloth' written by Alysn Midgelow-Marsden I bought a sample set of metal at the same time. The metal is a bit thinner than a soda can. Out of the metal I cut the shape of the M. Added some Adirondack Alcohol Inks on it in different colors and let them blend. Sorry, I did not write down the names of the inks. When it was dry I stitched the M to the black background fabric.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
And as I told you yesterday here are the pictures of the finished 'Can you see me?' quilt. Total size of the quilt is 31"x31". In some places there are up to 6 layers of fabric on top of the batting and all the fabric which I used are commercial batiks. As I mentioned earlier, I made this quilt for the Adaptation challenge which is run on Fiberartsconnsocal
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Is almost done! I only have to attach the label to it and than this quilt is finished. In a way I wished I kept track of the hours I spent working on it. I know it is one of the most time consuming quilts I ever made. Picture of the finished quilt and some details I will post tomorrow.
Monday, June 15, 2009
Progress on the chameleon quilt is slow, but steady. On these pictures you can see that I have added some branches and the first leaves. Many more are still to come. Size of the quilt is 31"x31", so you can guess that it takes a lot of time before this one is finished.
Saturday, June 13, 2009
No progress to show on my chameleon quilt today. Adding the binding does not show much difference to the previous pictures :-). So today another one of alphabet pieces. The L stands for lutrador. In this case a thin white one which I zapped before I cut out the shape and stitched it to the background fabric. I love the lacey effect you get with using a heatgun on this material.l
Sunday, June 07, 2009
Saturday, June 06, 2009
I continued working on my green project. What I did this week was rather time consuming. I placed 5 pieces of different green batiks on top of each other and pinned this to the quilted background. My twin needle refused to stitch properly through this thick layer so I had to use a single needle and stitch two rows close to each other. You can imagine how many loose thread ends I ended up with. After they were neatly tacked away the quilt looks like this:
The next step is evenly time consuming and risky at the same time. I will remove the toplayer or toplayers of the fabrics. Hopefully I don't cut too many of the layers and end up with the background. More pictures will follow later this week
Monday, June 01, 2009
For CQGB I make a journal quilt (6"x12") every month. The idea I had was to make something with tulips the whole year through, but actually I got fed up with them. So this month I made something more suitable to the month of the year: dandelion seeds blowing in the wind. At the same time this journal quilt doubles for a challenge we have on my new group which was about spring and something new. Dandelion seeds are the beginning of new plants - most often in places where you don't want them - and they are a sign of spring. Here is the picture: