Sunday, August 22, 2010


I am making progress on the poppies, slow, but there is progress. Quilting is done, only the centre of the flowers needs a bit more. The whole binding - 240 inches - is attached, at the top by machine, the reverse side by hand. Sleeve is also attached. Actually 2 sleeves as I am a bit afraid of sagging so I decided to make 2 sleeves. This way I can hang the quilt on 3 places instead of only the ones at the end. For the poppy seed pods I zapped lutrador and made layers of silk paper (rovings plus wall paper paste). This weekend I started working on stitching the seed pods. On this picture you can see how it looked while I was working on it. With a zigzag stitch I stitched 4 times over all the lines. In total it took me about 3 hours before one of the smaller seed pods was done. I used watersoluble fleece/paper on my first one, but when rinsing it some of the fleece/paper remained behind. With a bit of acrylic paint I could hide this, but I decided to switch to Sulky fleece for the other seed pods.
This picture gives a better idea of how it is going to look like:
Stitching has been completed. The seed pod still needs to be cut out along the stitching lines and more zapping is required. In total I need 5 seed pods, some of them around 40 inch long so you can guess what I will be doing the coming week :-)


Anita M said...

What fun! And it looks like we are taking Lyric's screenprinting class together. I look forward to watching more of your work.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Wil,

Can't wait to see all the seed pods trimmed to get a better view of them. :)