It has been some time since I last wrote on this blog, but that does not mean that I have been idle :-). I completed several of the tree quilts I started last month, as you can see on the following pictures:
Besides the 3 finished ones, I am still working on 2 other ones as well. After those 5 I am certain that more will follow as I have more ideas for these funky trees.
Usually I do a 4-part binding on my quilts, but recently I have been playing with different types of 'edge finishing' . After all, a strip around the quilt can reduce the impact of the quilt. Here is a close up of the spiral tree quilt:
As you see there is nothing at the front which shows of the binding. When the top was complete, I measured the back of the quilt and marked the 12"x12" size with a black marker. Next step was to cut away the backing and the batting. This is a tricky step as it is very easy to cut into the top fabric as well. Now there are 2 ways of continuing. If there is enough fabric from the top, it is a matter of measuring this and folding it back. In my case there was only a few millimeters of fabric so I had to add 4 strips, one to each side. These strips I stitched to the top, folded them to the back so that the stitch line was exactly at the edge of the quilt. I pinned this down and hand stitched it to the back, as you can see on this detail picture:
This new technique made me realize that in future I have to cut the top fabric a bit bigger. It is much easier to just fold back the 4 sides than adding strips to it :-).