Wednesday, November 19, 2008

book

The last couple of days I have been working on making a fabric book. Well actually I am working on 2 books at the same time :-). For both books I am using the same techniques. Starting point is a piece of Pelmet Vilene (Timtex) both sides covered with fabric. As you can see on the pictures this layer gets quilted. I used one of my favorites designs from Dijanne's book . On the front cover I glued one of the cast paper shapes I made last week. Some molding paste was added to avoid rough edges with the cast paper.
The next steps were painting these pieces. The first layer was plain white latex paint (household emulsion). With this layer you don't need so much - more expensive - textile paints as the latex stops the soaking up of the paint by the Pelmet Vilene. In total I used 3 more layers of different colors Lumiere paint on these pieces. Each layer was diluted with water. By doing this you create depth in your layers as they get kind of transparant. You continue to see parts of the earlier layers.
As each layer needs to dry before you can add the next one it is a time consuming process. The next step - on which I can start now - is to finish the edges. Paint/dye the pages which have to go into the book and stitch everything together

2 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

what a great idea of using the latex paint! That's a whole lot cheaper than the lumiere paints.

Anonymous said...

Prachtige verwerking van je vorige proefjes! Ik kan niet alles lezen maar ik begrijp dat het papier is, waar je relief in hebt gemaakt?
Hannie