Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Zebra's butt

For the Dutch Challenge Group De Uitdaging the theme was 'an element of an animal'. The moment I read this theme I knew which animal I would pick - I love black and whites so the zebra was the obvious choice. Okay I could have settles for just the striped pattern, but when I was googling for further inspiration I found gorgeous pictures of zebra's butts :-). Making the quilt was actually rather simple. The white fabric is raw silk, the black a lightly patterned black commercial fabric. Creating the butt was done in one day. The next step was a bit more time consuming. I wanted real hair to be part of the tail. Finding zebra hair was not possible, but a friend of a friend keeps horses. And I am glad to say that Thunder was graciously enough to donate some hair from his tail for this zebra's tail.

The tail of the horse is made from some extra layer of fluffy batting rolled into the fabric. Details of the tail can be seen on this picture:
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Wil,

Love your Zebra's Butt! LOL
I never imagined I would say that.
LOL