Thursday, July 30, 2009
On purpose my stitching lines were not straight. Same with this piece. Here the stitching lines were not numbered and again Golden acrylic paints were used. Without adding medium the hand of the fabric changes, but as I create wall hangings it does not matter. These samples are small, but I think I will be using this technique on bigger pieces too. Someday in the - hopefully - near future.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Saturday, July 25, 2009
This was not the only piece of fabric I played with. I also worked with this brown sunprint. Here you see it folded and dapped with the first layer of color quinacridone burt orange and nickel azo gold. I buy these paints from the US as I have no idea where - or if - I can buy them here. The colors are gorgeous!
Next day when I had ironed the fabric it was more interesting than the piece I started with, but it needed a lighter color. Again I folded the fabric - this time in the other direction, sprayed it with water and ironed it. The color I used this time was metallic silver from Lumiere.
I am not certain whether it needs something more, but this is how it looks now:
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Yesterday I started working on the first section of the fractured flower project: the lower right. First step was to make a master map which I did using a Sharpie and a plastic sheet protector. The lines of the flower and leaves I copied onto the sheet protector. I placed the picture part on top of the fabric I had chosen for the background and carefully outlined the part and basted it. This way I am certain the piece will be the exact required size. Next step was to copy all the separate parts to freezer paper. As I am using the raw edge technique I could copy it to the paper side of the freezer paper using a lightbox. Maybe a bit difficult to see, but this is the sheet of paper with my templates
All the pieces are fused to the background fabric. Normally I prepare the complete sandwich before I start stitching and quilting, but that is no option now. I intend to place some interfacing under this top before I start stitching. Stay tuned for the next step.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
I realised today that I had not yet shown my journal quilt for June. The garden is my inspiration source for the whole year and for this month I decided on butterflies. The fabric for the butterflies is a handpainted one. The shapes of the black lines are cut out of a piece of black Kona. This all is fused to the background - a left over handdyed piece of cotton. Covered with black netting and free motion quilted. Size is 6"x12"(15x30 cm)
Monday, July 13, 2009
The stamp at the left is a lino cut which I made some time ago. Although I intended to use it yesterday, it did not happen. I was having too much fun with the other stamps :-). The stamp in the middle is made from a styrofoam pizza tray. I cut out a couple of shapes and glued these to a piece of timber. The stamp at the right is made by glueing rubber bands to a piece of wood. This is the second time that I used this piece of wood. The black lines you see on it are made during a previous stamping session. Here are some results of my stamping:
Saturday, July 11, 2009
There are not many techniques or materials which start with an N. I settled for using netting as a template This netting I placed on a light blue hand dyed piece of fabric. With a foam brush I added lightly some halo gold Lumiere textile paint. Okay on some places I got too much paint :-). After this I lifted the netting and let the fabric dry. Next step was to iron some fusible webbing to the back of the fabric before I cut out the shape of the N. The fabric was ironed to the background fabric and stitched. As you can see my cats like to sleep on my fabric and yes they shed their hair on it.