Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Start + Minnesota quilt

As I mentioned in my previous posting I started working on my Start quiltlet. The background is now pieced as you can see in this picture. The quilt is now a sandwich (I used my favourite Fusible Hobbs) and is ready to be quilted.

When I was in Minnesota my friend Kelly suggested that we should make a quilt to memorate this holiday. And as we are both always in for a challenge we decided that we would start with one piece, divide this into two and both of us would continue working on it after the holiday. The pictures you see here are the beginning steps. Background fabric is a piece of fabric which we rust dyed. The Starbuck symbol (we both love their coffee and frappucino) was made from a darkgreen batik - I bought lots of batiks when I was there - , covered with gauze and fused with Misty Fuse to the background fabric.

The next step was a drastic one :-). With a rotary cutter Kelly divided the quilt into two pieces and this is how the quilt looks now. We both have samples of the different types of fabric dyeing/painting we did which will be added and some other additions. Size of the quilt before cutting was approximately 16"x16". How big the results will be is not yet known, but I will keep you posted.


Judi said...

What a wonderful idea. Looking forward to the progress of both yours and Kelly's.

McIrish Annie said...

that's a cool idea. can't wait to see what you both do!