I am not yet happy with it. Background is made from black/white fabrics, bottles from zapped organza and the plant plus container is made from batiks. Right now the size is about 20"x20" and I think it is a bit cramped. Probably I will enlarge it. And hopefully by that time I also know what to add as an eye catcher, cause I think that that is missing at the moment. Any suggestions are appreciated :-)
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
The act on the left is made by Susan Lenz, the one in the middle by Suzan Widecrantz and the one at the right by Elizabeth Price. All so different and all so very pretty. Thanks ladies for participating in this swap!
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Purely coincidental this month's quiltlet is also showing tulips, just like the one I made for January. I might be challenging myself to stick to tulips for all 12 months.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
For the background I used 3 different batiks. Not one piece, but several pieces of the same color are used to. I had written down several ideas to work with and settled on an impression of a room. Focal point is the chair which is based on the peel design chair. With a chair you need a table and some light, don't you? These were added and some other extra stuff. The blue spot you see on the chair is a book. At the moment it is only made from 2 layers of fabric, but I will add some hand made paper or real paper pages before this quilt is finished. This is how it looks now:
It needs a bit of tweaking which I did after this picture was taken. Next step is machine quilting it. Size is approximately 16"x24"(40x60 cm). Title of the quilt is 'Reading'.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
With this new supply I should have enough to get me through the next 2 months.
Sunday, February 08, 2009
Removing the paper and hiding the thread ends works great when watching telly :-). The following picture shows how it looked after doing this:
At this moment the journal quilt was ready for the paint brushes. With a brush size 2 I filled in the areas which needed coloring. I worked with Deka silkpaints, Pebeo setacolor and Lumiére textilepaint. Here is the result:
This journal quilt is almost finished. I only have to attach a binding. Because of the small size the piece does not need extra quilting in the background. The fabric I picked for the background is another piece of shaving cream dyed fabric.
Saturday, February 07, 2009
For these 1/2 yard pieces I used mulberry and deep purple with some nickel. With 'normal' lwi you can predict the colors you will get, but I have found out that with snow dyeing this is much more a surprise.
Wednesday, February 04, 2009
I was told that the last couple of days it was not possible to click on the pictures to get a larger image. Hopefully that glitch has been solved.
Another thing I did today was some snow dyeing. When I woke up this morning I saw that there was snow, not much only 0,5" or so but enough to try out this technique. Dyeing friends of mine in the US have lots of opportunities to snow dye, but for me it was my first chance. This picture shows you my tray filled with fabric, snow and dye mixture. It took the snow 4 hours to melt and at the moment the fabric is soaking. I was able to gather more snow for a second piece. Pictures will follow later this week.
Sunday, February 01, 2009
Some things are okay but it was not complete. For an image of how a room looks after a party, it is way to neat. I am good at creating chaos in my studio, but this quilt needed it too. Pamela gave some suggestions and this is how it looks right now:
Much better. Some details still have to be changed and other ones will be added after the quilting, probably glued.