Thursday, December 25, 2008

Four Seasons Quilt Swap

To say no to a quiltswap is difficult for me :-). The recent one I joined is organised by Margaret and this 5th Four Seasons Quilt Swap is a monochromatic one. My partner - whose name has to remain a secret till after swapping - likes blue and red and wants a wall quilt in honour of her favourite season winter. Size has to be between 16" and 20". This is how I started:

Each block is 4"x4". They were joined into this:

The background is finished. It is to represent a winter sky, blue with just a little bit of color as the sun is rising.

I did some googling and found pictures of frost on the window. One of these pictures I traced onto a plastic sheet protector and enlarged this to the size I needed. It is a bit difficult to see but this is the enlarged paper pattern. I copied this onto the paperside of bondaweb and fused this to a very light blue piece of fabric. I added some diluted white/silver paint to the fabric to give it a bit of a shimmer. The rest of the afternoon was filled with cutting out all these tiny pieces. But it was worth it. Here you can see the result after I fused it to the blue background:

The next step will be to fuse the top to the batting and backing fabric and to free motion quilt it. According to the rules of this swap I am not allowed to mail it before February 15 so there is lots of time for this.

3 comments:

Ann J said...

What a great efect Wil - I am sure your partner will love it, lucky girl (? !) Hope you're having a good Christmas and all the very best for 2009 !! ...Luv AJ

Purple Missus said...

What a great idea for the 'frost' Wil. Has really made the quilt look extra special.
All the best for the New Year.

mia said...

secret partner??? ik ben niet nieuwsgierig, maar.....